Dieting is hard! You want to look good and feel good- and fit into the skinny jeans- but you don’t want to feel deprived! Plus, there’s so much info out there on weight loss and diets that it’s hard to keep it straight in your head. And what about fad diets? Any nutritionist will tell you that’s not the way to go. Sure, the first few pounds will come off quickly, but most of those diets don’t reflect the way most of us really eat, so it will be hard to maintain that diet and weight loss. What you need to do is exercise and eat sensible, nutritious, portion controlled meals and snacks.
A little bit of magic would be nice when it comes to weight loss, but sadly, we all know that magic isn’t real. But what if there were some foods- regular foods- that could help you lose weight? Sounds too good to be true, right? Would I mess with you that way? Of course not! Check out this list of foods that can help you lose weight.
- Popcorn. I’m not kidding! Of course I’m not talking about butter laden movie popcorn, but 4 cups of low-fat, or air-popped popcorn will give you 3 grams each of fiber and protein. And fill you up- all for only 150 calories.
- Lemon. Use lemon in your cooking to add flavor without fat and salt. And feel good about that because chemicals in lemons can aid digestion and help you fight cravings.
- Almonds. Almonds are a healthy snack that make you feel satisfied so you’ll eat less at meals. One ounce (about 22 nuts) has just 160 calories and is a great source of healthy fat, fiber, and protein.
- Lean meat. Because it’s high in protein it will help you feel satisfied. Meat is also a good source of iron, but the fat in lean meat is still saturated fat, so limit meat meals to once a week.
- Quinoa. Quinoa is a complete protein and it has lots of fiber so it will fill you up and keep you satisfied.
- Beans. High in fiber and protein, and slow to digest so you won’t feel hungry for a while.
- Dark chocolate. Studies show that people who ate a little dark chocolate controlled their appetites better.
- Apples. The fiber in fresh fruit makes you feel full and the act of chewing tells your brain you’re eating real food.
- Yogurt. Lots of protein and fiber to keep you satisfied. And the probiotics in yogurt help with gut function, which can minimize bloating and inflammation. Studies show that people who eat dairy lose more weight than those who don’t.
- Chili pepper. Spicy foods can reduce appetite and increase metabolism.
- Cinnamon. Cinnamon regulates your blood sugar, curbs cravings, and boosts metabolism.
- Berries. Not only are they great for satisfying a sweet craving, but the antioxidant in berries works on the gene activity of fat cells, which makes it harder to gain weight.
Not really magic, but I’d say pretty close! Include these foods in your healthy food plan and dieting won’t seem like such hard work!