I hope you got your flu shot this season. It’s the best way to prevent catching the flu, but it won’t help with colds and other winter viruses, and that’s where your immune system comes in. Here are the things that you can do to keep your immune system strong, and you can start right now!
- Wash your hands. This is probably the single most important thing you can do to avoid getting sick. Use warm water and soap- and scrub!
- Eat well. Nutrition is an extremely important part of staying healthy.
- Get enough sleep. A tired body has a harder time fighting off germs.
- Don’t smoke.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Be sociable. Human connection helps fight illness.
- Be positive. A healthy attitude can help keep your body healthy, too.
- Avoid stress: Too much stress can actually make you prone to getting sick.
- Drink alcohol in moderation.
- Take probiotics. Probiotics are the good bacteria that promote good health. Yogurt is one of the best sources of probiotic you can eat, and there are plenty of probiotic supplements you can get in any health food store or pharmacy.
Sticking to these guidelines should help keep you from getting sick too often. Unfortunately, nothing is foolproof and no matter how careful you are you could still get sick, but with a strong immune system you’re body is ready to fight those germs and get you feeling better quickly!