Friendships are special relationships. It makes sense; people need companionship and support, and good friends give you just that, not to mention the countless other benefits of having friends. Though you might think being a good friend is something we all just know how to do naturally, sometimes maintaining a good friendship takes a little effort. Here are our favorite tips on how to be a good friend:
- Call or text just to say “Hi!” We’re all busy and don’t always have time for a real conversation, let alone getting together face to face, but a quick call or text to check in shows that your connection is important to you.
- Be there when times are tough. We need support at difficult times and that’s when friendship really counts. Let her know you’re there and ask how you can help.
- Know how to cheer your friend up. You know just when to grab your friend for a coffee run, or what movie she wants to watch when she’s feeling sad.
- Keep promises. Trust is one of the most important elements of friendship.
- Apologize when you’re wrong. You won’t always agree, and you might even hurt each other once in a while. Know when you’re wrong and accept responsibility.
- Don’t hold grudges. Get over the bad moments and move on.
- Be a good listener. For the important and not so important stuff.
- Give you friend space. No smothering.
- Accept your friends for who they are. No judging.
- No jealousy. Be genuinely happy for your friends when good things happen.
- No behind her back gossiping.
- Be loyal. Your friends need to know they can count on you to have their backs.
Good friendships make us happy, so it’s well worth working to be a good friend. Be a good friend yourself and you’ll have great friends for life!