Wellness is a hot topic these days and it seems like everyone is into some kind of special diet- gluten-free, paleo, keto, and so many others. We all like to eat, but we all realize now that besides tasting good and satisfying hunger, food is supposed to work for us, too. We want to get the most from out calories in terms of nutrition and strength, but did you know that what you eat also affects your mood? Really! Read on to learn about foods to boost your mood!
- Low-fat yogurt: Calcium and vitamin D help regulate mood fluctuations.
- Broccoli: Increases the feel-good hormones in your brain.
- Spinach: The folic acid in spinach regulates mood and prevents fatigue.
- Lentils: Eating lentils can help prevent anemia, which can cause apathy, fatigue, and depression. Lentils are also rich in magnesium, which gives you energy.
- Salmon: The omega-3′s in salmon help prevent depression.
- Chickpeas: A good source of vitamin B-6, which supports brain function and is also good for symptoms of PMS. Legumes, such as chickpeas, help the body maintain steady blood-sugar levels, helpful in controlling mood swings.
- Chicken and turkey: They contain high levels of tryptophan, which makes you feel happy.
- Avocado: Avocado contains serotonin, a brain chemical that makes you feel good.
- Dark chocolate: Besides all the antioxidants in dark chocolate, it also helps reduce levels of the stress hormone cortisol.
- Bananas: Bananas are a powerhouse happy food! They contain tryptophan, vitamin B folate, and magnesium- all mood boosters. Eating bananas helps regulate your blood sugar and may help prevent depression.
Besides all their feel-good properties, these foods are all packed with good nutrition, too. Make them a part of your regular diet and feel happy all the time!