It’s lemonade season and I’, excited! I’m a big fan of lemon- it just has such a fresh flavor that I love. I squirt a few drops over lots of different foods because it just adds something. I always know I loved lemon and I now have new admiration since I learned that lemon is good for way more than just giving a pop to my recipes. Here are some ways to use lemons in the kitchen that you may not have know about!
- Keep brown sugar soft. Don’t you hate it when you’re all ready to start baking, but your brown sugar is rock hard? Add a piece of lemon peel to the box to prevent clumping and hardening.
- Keep rice from sticking. Add a few drops of lemon juice to the pot while cooking.
- Prevent apples from turning brown. The acid in the lemon prevents the oxidation process. Works great for avocado, too!
- Meat tenderizer. The acid works its magic here, too, breaking down the fibers that can make some cuts of meat tough.
- Low sodium flavoring. The natural flavor of lemon is so rich you can cut down on salt.
- Deodorize the refrigerator. Get some lemon juice on a cotton ball or sponge and place in the refrigerator for a few hours to absorb bad odors.
These are just some of the amazing ways that lemon can be your helper in the kitchen. Do you have any other unexpected way to use lemon? Share with us on Facebook and Twitter!