Life can get expensive. I’m not even talking about luxuries and special treats here- I’m talking about regular household needs. It’s just the way we live today, and while it might seem like there’s no way around it, I’m here to tell you that there are easy ways to save money on typical household expenses.
- Use coupons. This one’s pretty obvious. Take advantage of store coupons and manufacturer’s coupons for some really great savings on basic and not so basic necessities. Watch out for expiration dates and restrictions.
- Shop smart. Go to resale shops and garage sales where you can score some great finds at really great discounts.
- DIY. No need to pay someone for something you can do yourself. Of course you need to be smart about this- don’t undertake a big job if you have no idea what you’re doing. But for simple projects you can learn almost anything on YouTube.
- Watch your thermostats. Set the thermostats a little lower in winter and a little higher in summer and you’ll save each month on heating and air conditioning.
- Use less laundry detergent. You can use way less than what it says on the packaging and your clothes will still come out clean and fresh.
- Line dry your laundry. This will make your clothes last longer, too.
- Use energy saving light bulbs. Switch over to CFL or LED.
- Eat leftovers. Don’t let them sit there until it’s time to throw them out. Repurpose dinner leftovers for another dish a night or two later. Cook extra from the start and take the leftovers for lunch.
- Hand-me-downs. You can pass on old clothes in your own family, or swap with friends so everyone gets something new.
- Carpool. Or walk when you can to save on car expenses.
- Buy generic. Generic products are almost always just as good as the brand names.
Try these suggestions and see how much you save after a few months- then treat yourself to something special!