Getting a haircut is sort of like a small luxury. Sitting back and letting someone tend to you for a little while is nice, and you always (let’s hope…) look and feel better after. And speaking about luxury- how about the price? A good haircut can seriously eat into your budget! The good news is that it doesn’t have to. You can stay well-groomed and it doesn’t have to cost you too much. Read on for some tricks to help you save money on haircuts.
- Get a student. Go to your local beauty school and have a student give you a haircut. Don’t be nervous- the students are well supervised and you’ll save a lot. You may even score a free haircut!
- Social media. Follow salons in your area so you’ll always know about promotions and specials.
- Discount sites. Check for coupons on discount sites like Groupon.
- Service swaps. Do you know someone who can cut hair? Try swapping a haircut for a batch of your famous chocolate chip cookies.
- Go for a longer style. Maintenance is still important to keep long hair looking healthy, but you can go a longer time between trims, which is a savings.
- Donate. Many salons will give you a free haircut when you donate your hair to Locks of Love or other organizations. There are guidelines for lengths and other considerations so check with your local salons.
- Be a hair model. Model in ads for a salon in exchange for a free haircut.
- Just the cut. Skip the shampoo and blow-dry, and save.
- Walk-in salons. These are generally less expensive than more upscale salons where you need an appointment.
- Haircuts at home. Find a stylist who’s willing to come to your home. Lots of stylists like to work this way because they get to keep whatever you pay them, instead of sharing a percentage with the salon. You’ll also save on transportation costs.
You don’t have to deny yourself a little pampering and glamming just because you’re trying to save money. You just need to find a cheaper way to do it!